"Detox" diets may be all the rage, but experts say they're not necessary and may be unhealthy.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers advice on "cleansing" your body naturally:
- Drink plenty of fresh water.
- Eat five-to-nine servings daily of fruits and vegetables. Opt for green and leafy veggies, plus berries, leeks, turmeric, onions, garlic, artichokes, milk thistle and green tea.
- Eat plenty of whole grains, nuts and seeds for fiber.
- If your diet lacks any nutrients, consider a supplement.
- Fight gut-microbe toxins by eating fermented foods, such as kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi and yogurt. Or take a quality probiotic.